Sunday, April 6, 2008

Project Three - Home

For my final series on Home, I would like to explore a piece of my life that I have always associated home with: Food. Whenever I am at school, forced to feast on meals made from cans, freezers, boxes and microwavable bags, what makes me yearn for home is memories of my mom's cooking. There is something inherently personal about food that is made from scratch. Dishes cease to be just about relieving hunger. Instead, they start to be the meals we turn to whenever we are in need of comfort, nostalgia or happiness. Beyond the obvious, there are so many examples of what food does for people. If food wasn't such a multi-faceted thing, there wouldn't be so many conditions that revolved around it - emotional eating, binge eating, dieting, eating disorders....
I hope to explore how food relates back to my sense of home. I want to photograph the food in a way that hasn't necessarily been done before. I feel like food photography is something that has become a bit cliche, due to a multitude of food magazines and cook books. Thus, I want to try to explore newer, more novel was of capturing it, while still maintaining a sense of 'home.'

1 comment:

Anita Allyn said...

Addie,

Interesting relationship to home.
I'm going to encourage you to also perhaps broaden your context of your investigation.

See Celia Shapiro's work, for example:

http://www.providencephoenix.com/art/top/documents/04108407.asp