Monday, March 17, 2008

Formal Analysis of Project 1

When looking back on project one, I feel like I have only scraped the surface of my topic. I shot at two locations, but only connected with one of them. Thus, I feel like I could definitely expand upon the scope/subject matter of my series.
The exposure of the photographs was originally a bit light, especially the posters. This was probably due to the the overhead fluorescent lighting. So, I increased the contrast slightly on all of the photographs and played with levels in order to fix the intensity of the poster/picture of the woman.
The composition of the photos is based in the idea of giving the viewer a glimpse into the overall mood of the shop, as well as the people who inhabit it. I liked that I was able to capture small details....snow globes, shampoo bottles, decorations on shelves. Such little extras lent to the character and appeal of the shop itself.
Ultimately, my project morphed into an exploration of beauty - beauty within the eyes of society and beauty within the eyes of individuals, specifically women. I didn't initially enter the salon with the intention of focusing on beauty. The subject revealed itself to me through the exploration of space.

No comments: