Thursday, March 20, 2008

Assessment of assignment 1


Assessment of assignment 1
Nancy O’Reilly
3Me with the guys

I feel my photo shoot of the Unofficial Veterans Meeting held at the local vacuum cleaner repair shop went well. The men were all very gracious in allowing me to photograph them at their meeting, which is really more of a weekly social event. There were several constraints which I was confronted with during the photo shoot. In a room that was approximately 25 x 20 feet there were about 40 or more people, the repair shop equipment, a large desk and cash register; not to mention the low ceilings and fluorescent lighting. Unfortunately, I had to shoot in auto mode, there was no place for a tripod and I needed the camera flash. I had never done anything like this before; going to a meeting in photographing a group of people is normally outside of my comfort zone. The experience of it all was very worth while and I have learned a lot about photographing in tight areas and trying to get people at ease with the camera and pretend I am not there. Trying to tell a story in only three pictures was also much more challenging than I anticipated. A lot of thought and time needs to go in to the selection process.

As far as the critique, I'm not sure how that went; it seemed to be 50-50 with two comments made one positive and one negative. I do agree it would have been more successful if I had printed in a much larger matte format. I do feel the three photographs I selected, when looked at closely; do give a sense of what was going on and who was there. Overall I feel my presentation was successful. –NJO--

No comments: