Monday, January 28, 2008

Calf image


Looking at these images I instantly realized which one I would like to analyze, which one interested me the most. The calf image, simple at the first glance, offers a lot of subtlety that adds to its power. The image itself is a relatively straightforward depiction of a calf (well at least I think it is a calf, due to reasons I will explain later) peeking out of a what looks like a coral on a clear summer day. The picture is divided into two main sections, the clear blue sky, with a hint of thin clouds, and an animal enclosure. This division is broken slightly by the tree line, which serves to introduce some distraction, and adds dynamic to the image. The animal is bashfully peeking out of the enclosure, which is why I think that it is a calf. There is a feeling of innocence encompassing the picture, facilitated by the both: inviting setting (weather and landscape), as well as the action of the animal. For me this image symbolizes the idea of photography that I hold dear, and that is the idea that one does not need much to make a significant image. Often, simplicity of composition and subject choice provides the strongest effect.

Artur out

No comments: